Sunday, October 21, 2012

Numbers:



I made a similar post at the beginning of this blog 11 months ago highlighting some of the numbers of my training.  I keep track of my training miles, hrs sleep, etc so I can discover trends when something isn’t quite right. Here are a few of the things I've logged.
 
377         Days of training from Milwaukee Marathon to Ironman Hawaii

4,230      Miles traveled from Chicago to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
7,583      Miles I’ve covered in training during the past year by swimming, biking, and running.

1,497      Miles run
5,914      Miles traveled on two wheels
1,499      Of those bike miles spent commuting to work.
162         Miles traveled in the water.

614 hr, 47 min                      Total time I’ve spent swimming, biking, and running this year.
25 days, 14 hrs, 47 min      Time I’ll have next year doing other things besides swimming, biking, and running. 

3 days, 8 hrs, 48 min           Time spent swimming
14 days, 15 hrs, 53 min       Time spent on a bike seat
7 days, 15hrs, 4 min            Time spent running

2:45am   Earliest I would get up to get a work out in before having to be at the hospital—20 mile run at 3:30am to before getting to hospital by 7:15am..
3              Number of breakfasts I would consume during training.  One pre-workout, one immediately post-workout, one “mid-morning” breakfast at 7:30 when I got to work.
6-7          Average number of cereal bowls consumed on a daily basis this year.

140         Longest training ride (in miles)
6,715      Approximate number of calories burned during that workout.

9.8          Average miles per run x 157 times run in past year.
30.8        Longest run this past year (in miles)
2             Fastfood restaurants (Wendy’s & McDonald’s) Melissa & her mom stopped at to get me requested food after that long run.  For the record, I requested chicken tenders with large fry and milkshake or Frosty depending on what they found.  They went the extra step and got it all. 
0             Number of times I have ordered those foods in previous decade.  I was in bad need of some salt.

2,600      Calories on my bike as I started Ironman Hawaii.
4.5          Grams of sodium on my bike at the start of Ironman Hawaii—all of it consumed on the bike portion

11,000   Approximate calories burned during Ironman Hawaii
5,500     Estimated number of calories consumed during Ironman Hawaii
16          diameter in inches of the Tiramisu pie I ate (primarily alone) in the week after the race.
14          number of Mai Tai’s consumed in one hour at Huggo’s happy hour by the support crew.
5            pounds of chocolate chip cookie dough we went through during the week after the race—I was not entirely alone on this one. 
37           Times during the race my proud father said “I think this is Ryan coming,” even though the leader hadn’t passed by yet. This is just a guess but I imagine it is probably true. 
6              Number of times I actually saw the support crew during the race.
7              miles I had run in the marathon before I realized I had the protective Saran Wrap on my new sunglasses.  

56°          Water temperature when I started swimming in Lake Michigan this summer.
66°          Water temperature during my last 3 mile swim at Ohio Street Beach on Sept 21st.
78°          Water temperature in Kona on day of race.
86°          Temperature in Kona on race day.
13           Wind speed (in mph) on raceday.
40           Approximate mph of gusts of crosswinds.
48.5        My coasting speed (in mph) on a downhill during the race.

2              Number of bike breakdowns in 2011 requiring Melissa to come get me.
0              Number of bike breakdowns this year requiring Melissa to come get me.  Apparently I’m getting smarter.

~550       Approximate number of emails, Facebook notes & likes, cards, and calls I received encouraging me the week before the race.  I am so touched by that show of support. 

1575      Miles driven in the rental car around the Big Island in the 14 days of our trip.
15-20     mph over the speed limit I was traveling when pulled over by a cop at 1am on the drive back to the house on race night (in 25 mph zone).
One        Number of questions police officer had for me that night: “Why are you the one driving?”
$200       Dollars I was spared from paying for a ticket given the police officer’s pity for me.

4            Number of sports medicine fellowship interviews I have in the next 4 days, accompanied by 2 flights.  Should be another interesting & exciting week! 


1 comment: